Community and Professional Development
Community & Professional Development
With over 35 years of experience supporting children, young people and families across Lake Macquarie, CALM is the provider of choice in the community.
Want more information?
Sign up to our newsletter today to receive updates on CALM and our programs.
Youth Sector Development
Do you work with Young People in Lake Macquarie?
Our Youth Development Officer represents the interests of young people, actively seeking, advocating and organising opportunities to connect with the community.
Funded by the NSW Department of Communities & Justice (DCJ) this key service provides support, education, connection and collaborative opportunities for people who work with young people. Our team of experienced Youth Support Workers:
- Generate the monthly Youth Sector Share Newsletter
- Coordinate Lake Macquarie Youth Interagency Meetings
- Coordinate Lake Macquarie Network of Practice Meetings
- Coordinate Education and Skills training
- Connect and collaborate with sector partners
- Provide information, advice and referral for the sector
- Coordinate Advocacy campaigns for young people to have their voices heard on various social, economic, and environmental issues
Current Advocacy Work
Our current advocacy work includes:
- Youth Homelessness
- The sad reality is that homelessness is in our community and it doesn’t discriminate. Every child, young person and family needs a safe place to sleep.
- Family Violence
- Love Shouldn’t Hurt. We say NO to domestic and family violence.
- Child Protection
- Every child and young person deserves to feel safe.
- Youth Mental Health
- 1 in 5 young people in Australia struggle with their mental health. It’s never too early to talk about it.
- Indigenous Children and Young People
- We give our respect to the Awabakal, first people of this land. We commit to protecting and supporting all children and young people in our local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- We’re here for the LGBTQIA community, in the same way we are for everyone.
Want to receive updates, attend Youth Interagency, join or become a Youth Advocate?
Educator Professional Development
CALM can provide a range of professional development topics for Teachers, Early Childhood Educators, Youth Workers and Wellbeing Professionals. Delivered by qualified staff, topics could include:
- LivingWorks SafeTalk Suicide Prevention
- Emotion Coaching
- Mental Health Aware
- Community Development
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
We can design a topic to meet your specific needs for a small fee for delivery.
If you are interested in booking CALM for your next Professional Development day or would like more information about available topics, get in touch through our contact page below.