The Incredible Years Parents, Teachers and Children Training Series (3 to 6years)
Purpose/Main focus of program:
· To improve parent-child relationship through the use of play.
· To teach parents how to help their child develop emotional, social, academic and persistence skills.
· Provide parents with strategies to encourage the behaviour they want to see.
· Provide parents with skills in developing and following through with rules and routines.
This program, while targeting parents of 3 to 6 year olds, would easily cover parents of 2 to 12 year olds.
Best suited to a group setting over two terms as program is designed to utilise parents own expertise and the expertise of other parents rather than a focus on the presenter as the expert. Aspects could be used 1:1, but the presenter would take on a teaching role rather than facilitator.
Summary of program:
This program is run over eleven 2 ½ hour sessions with homework each week. Parents must attend both halves of the program outlined below.
The first half of the program covers:
· Improving your relationship with your child
· how to utilise play to develop a child’s emotional control, appropriate social behaviour, ability to problem solve and persistence with frustrating tasks
· Using effective praise and rewards to encourage the behaviours you want to see more of
The second half of the program covers:
· how we can utilise routine, clear rules and directions, ignoring and distraction to reduce challenging behaviours
· appropriate consequences for challenging behaviour
· a more in depth look at teaching children to problem solve