Seasons for Growth
Seasons for Growth: Exploring the stages of Grief
Bringing Up Great Kids
Bringing up Great Kids
Purpose/Main focus of program:
The program is attachment / relationship based and it is expected that parents will come to:
- learn about the origins of their own parenting style and how it can be more effective
- identify the important messages they want to convey to their children and how to achieve this
- understand the messages that children communicate to their parents and how they do this
- discover how to overcome some of the obstacles that are getting in the way of being the kind of parent they would like to be
- learn about the importance of building self esteem in children
- discover ways for parents to take care of themselves
There are two programs “Bringing up Great Kids in the Early Years” for parents of children 0 to 6 and “Bringing up Great Kids” for parents of any age 0 to young adult.
Best suited to a group program as many of the activities are interactive and require small groups of people. However the creators are happy for the program to be delivered in parts or for workers to use the handouts and activities in whatever way they choose. At home delivery is possible but would require adaption of some of the activities.
Summary of program:
These are 12 hour programs designed to be delivered in six 2 hour sessions but could be adapted into four 3 hour sessions or two 6 hour sessions.
The program uses ideas of mindfulness and reflection to support parents to review and enhance patterns of communication with their children, to promote more respectful interactions and encourage the development of children’s positive self-identity. It also works to establish a new relationship context for children and their parents through facilitating opportunities for positive exchanges. Parents are encouraged to explore and reflect upon messages they received from their own experience of being parented.
Keeping Children Safe
Triple P Group
Triple P Seminar Series
“Positive Parenting is an approach to raising children that aims to promote children’s development and
manage children’s behaviour in a constructive and non-hurtful way”(Sanders,1992)
Purpose/Main focus of program:
- Develop positive relationships with your child
- Encourage better behaviour from your child
- Deal consistently and decisively with the problem behaviour
- Take the stress out of parenting
This program targets parents/carers of 2 to 12 year olds, the strategies are most effective for 3-10 year olds. This program is suitable for children with mild to severe behaviour difficulties including those with ADHD or conduct disorder.
Can be delivered as a group, 1:1 or self-directed. We have the option to deliver this as an Indigenous triple P group model as well.
Summary of program:
This program is run over eight weeks, with five of those weeks being face to face. The breakdown is:
- 4 weeks face to face (2 hours per session)
- 3 weeks follow up phone calls (15-30 per phone call for each participant)
- 1 week final session (2 hours per session)
The program covers five key aspects:
- Having a safe, interesting environment
- Having a positive learning environment
- Using assertive discipline
- Having realistic expectations
- Taking care of yourself as a parent
“Positive Parenting is an approach to raising children that aims to promote children’s development and manage children’s behaviour in a constructive and non-hurtful way” (Sanders, 1992)
Purpose/Main Focus of Program:
- To help parents identify the positive parenting principles and strategies they already use
- Identify additional strategies that they think would be of benefit to their child
- Set some goals related to changes they would like to make in their parenting
Parents of children 2-12 yrs who are interested in learning positive ways of promoting children’s development. They may have minor concerns about their child’s behaviour.
The program consists of three 90-minute seminar presentations which are designed as an overview of Positive Parenting, within a framework of ‘self-regulation’. Information is presented with PowerPoint slides and handout ‘tip sheets’ for participants.
Summary of the Program:
The seminars came about due to a need for a less intensive form of group parent training than the 8 session Triple P group program.
- Session 1 – ‘The Power of Positive Parenting’ includes:Creating a safe, interesting environment; Having a positive learning environment; Using assertive discipline; Having realistic expectations and Looking after yourself as a parent.
- Session 2 –‘Raising Confident, Competent Children’ includes:Showing respect to others; Encouraging co-operation; Communication and social skills; Building self-esteem; Problem-solving; Developing independence
- Session 3 – ‘Raising Resilient Children’ includes:Emotional resilience; Expressing feelings appropriately; Building a positive outlook; Coping with life events