Bringing up Great Kids
Purpose/Main focus of program:
The program is attachment / relationship based and it is expected that parents will come to:
• learn more about the origins of their own parenting style and how it can be more effective
• identify the important messages they want to convey to their children and how to achieve this
• understand the messages that children communicate to their parents and how they do this
• discover how to overcome some of the obstacles that are getting in the way of being the kind of parent they would like to be
• learn about the importance of building self esteem in children
• discover ways for parents to take care of themselves
There are two programs “Bringing up Great Kids in the Early Years” for parents of children 0 to 6 and “Bringing up Great Kids” for parents of any age 0 to young adult.
Best suited to a group program as many of the activities are interactive and require small groups of people. However the creators are happy for the program to be delivered in parts or for workers to use the handouts and activities in whatever way they choose. At home delivery is possible but would require adaption of some of the activities.
Summary of program:
These are 12 hour programs designed to be delivered in six 2 hour sessions but could be adapted into four 3 hour sessions or two 6 hour sessions.
The program uses ideas of mindfulness and reflection to support parents to review and enhance patterns of communication with their children, to promote more respectful interactions and encourage the development of children’s positive self-identity. It also works to establish a new relationship context for children and their parents through facilitating opportunities for positive exchanges. Parents are encouraged to explore and reflect upon messages they received from their own experience of being parented.